Nelson Family

Nelson Family

Wednesday, April 25, 2012


Everyone was on pins and needles waiting to get results on Wednesday April 4, however they don't show up until Friday April 6. My dad calls and tells me it is glioblastoma. damn it. Good news, mom moved her leg for the first time in over a month!

Easter April, 8, 2012

I guess mom got to go home for a few hours, however, she lost mobility in her left arm and had pounding headaches. She has also caught a really bad cold. Not a good day. She was really run down.

I spent to much time on the Internet reading about glioblastoma this weekend. No good news to be found. Trying to be hopeful, but would rather just keep crying at this point.

Monday April 9, 2012

I called mom because I just wanted to hear her voice. She was trying to eat her breakfast, however, she kept falling asleep and spilling it on her. As we kept talking she continued to drift to sleep and drop the phone. I say good bye and start to freak out. Is this how it is going to go? Is she just going to start shutting down? Do I need to get on a plane right now? I called dad and he says that she did the same thing to him. He was at work. Now we are both worried and neither of us are in Pocatello. He calls the hospital and I call my aunt Jackie. Thank Heavens, Jackie was already there with my mom. They had a very productive day. She wasn't getting enough oxygen because of her cold, so they gave her breathing treatments. The doctors had lowered her meds and that was causing the swelling and the headaches, so they upped them again. By Wednesday April 11, she is able to flip my dad the bird with her left hand!

Thursday April 12, 2012

Everyone wanted to know what was going on. What was the diagnosis? I could hardly talk about it. I am very broken hearted and not really sure what to pray for. The boys now know what it going on and we pray, but I don't know what I am suppose to pray for. I was scared that since I didn't know Heavenly Father's plan, I would have to just pray for him to comfort us while we lost her. My visiting teachers, Chris Meager and Adrianna Martinez, brought over some Jimmy Johns and visited with me for a while. It was good. It forced me to ask my questions out loud and they had great advice.
I decided that I do know that Heavenly Father can heal her and take this away and that I am going to pray and ask for him to do so. I am not the only one praying for her. She has tons of people of many faiths sending their prayers to God to heal her. Since then, I have been able to remain hopeful and not break down every 10 minutes. If anyone can physically beat it, she can.

The news gets out. I am finally capable of talking with people about it. I am amazed at how incredibly loving people are. Peyton's preschool teacher and the school director call and offer their sorrow for us. Friends send flowers and a journal. Phone calls pour in.  My wonderful friends in Texas bring meals.

Tuesday April 17, 2012

Mom, dad, Jackie and Cori all traveled to Salt Lake today to meet with Dr. Jensen at the Huntsman Center. Dad was worried about my mom having to go to the restroom and him not being able to go in and help her. So aunt Jackie and Cori happily agreed to go along for the ride. The appointment went well. Dr. Jensen said that my mom was young and had a good fighting chance. (And little does he know what a fighter she is!) He told her to set up radiation and chemo treatments with her doctors in Pocatello.

Friday April 20, 2012

The boys got to talk on the phone with Gram today. They were so honest and so adorable. Hayden is taking his turn telling Gram that next time mom flies to Idaho, he is sneaking in the bag and coming and see Gram. Carter is yelling, "Hayden, ask Gram how she is doing with her cancer!" Finally Carter gets his turn and that is the first question out of his mouth, "Gram, how are you doing with your cancer?" She laughs and tells him that she is doing great with her cancer. That she is going to get rid of it. And we all believe her.

Monday April 23, 2012

Mom was released from the hospital today. She has been kicking butt in rehab. The physical therapists have had her walking with a special brace on her ankle that holds her foot up, going up stairs and riding on a stationery bike. They will continue to come to the house and work with her three times a week. She still can't lift her left arm.

Tuesday April 24, 2012

Mom and dad meet with Dr. Francisco and Dr. Callahan in Pocatello. They want her to start right away with getting a MRI first thing in the morning. They will get a mask made for her treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment